Sunday, March 8, 2015

Alternative Process through Digital Means

Each of the photographs below are examples of images that have been transformed through the use of the alternative process. Examples of their original, unedited counterparts can be seen in the blog post below.


Daguerreotype:
This image is a depiction of a sunset over a frozen lake in northern Michigan. I decided to make this specific image a daguerrotype because I felt that the cold and somber composition of the photograph complemented the smooth, metallic characteristics of this specific alternative process. After editing this image in such an explicit way, the photo was entirely transformed, and began to portray a completely different feeling. I particularly like the premise of the daguerreotype because it gives any given photograph a new character, and erases the controlling concept of time and exposer from an image. 


Gum Bichromate:
I took this image hoping to capture the silhouette of the Fremount bridge from its east side. After seeing the result, I decided to edit this image by using the gum bichromate process. I made the decision to use this process because I saw the potential it had to transform the image, and enable it to convey such surreal colors and textures. I decided to use both light and dark colors to bring attention to the shadows of the images subjects. Overall, I was very happy with the outcome of this photograph, and its ability to represent my ability in perfecting the alternative process. 

Cyanotype:
Similar to the image above, this photograph uses the subject of a popular Portland bridge, (the hawthorne), as the main attention grabber in my attempt to create a cyanotype. I enjoy the general composition and aesthetic of this image, and the way that the editing technique was able to enhance the image properties so profoundly. Specifically, the way that the brush strokes are held in comparison to the texture of the river and the dark shadow of the bridge.


Other Alternative Process Images of Interest:


   

No comments:

Post a Comment